Andertons Music Co.
Digital Content Team Leader
26th April 2019
Andertons is a leading online musical instrument retailer with aspirations to increase online turnover by 100% over the course of the next 2-3 years. It has invested heavily in both people and tools to facilitate this growth with an underlying strategy based around brand-loyalty and market share growth.
Reporting to our Digital Marketing Manager, we currently have a vacancy for a Digital Content Team Manager to oversee the activities of a 5-person content writing team that manage the majority of customer-facing product and promotional content on the Andertons website. As the team continues to grow, this position becomes an ever-important role to ensure the overall efficiency of the web content team.
Key Responsibilities of the Role
- Manage the content team’s incoming workload
Tasks for the team come from a variety of sources and you will be the primary decision maker when it comes to prioritising and organising work. You should be constantly aware of the overall “landscape” of the content team’s workload.
- To be an active player in the team’s day-to-day work
You should play an active part in executing day-to-day content management duties which include product information management and content creation. This will help you to understand the challenges of the team and contribute to its output.
- Manage the relationship & expectations of stakeholders
With regards to incoming work requests, manage the relationship between internal teams (e.g. purchasing) and external stakeholders (e.g. suppliers) about when work will be delivered.
- Champion high quality output from the content team
Without taking the role of a full time editor, you should encourage the team to peer review and continually maintain a high standard of output.
- Actively engage in campaign planning
As well as handling day-to-day tasks, work with the Digital Marketing Manager to plan and resource future campaigns (e.g. Black Friday) in advance so you remain in control of the wider content schedule.
- Help the content team deliver more work / larger initiatives
Work with the DMM and other stakeholders to improve efficiency by reviewing team processes, resourcing the team appropriately, taking advantage of supplier opportunities, and leveraging reporting and technology to get the most value out of the content team.
The Digital Content Team
The Andertons Content Team is responsible for the customer-facing content on the website as well as the representation of Andertons on search engines, YouTube and social media channels. This team currently consists of 4 product writers with varying specialisms and a graphics executive. The Content Team Manager plays an integral part in ensuring we are capitalising on content based opportunities and maximising the use of this expert resource. As well as managing your immediate team, you will also communicate daily with other teams in the e-commerce department (Marketing, Photography & Technical) as well as the purchasing team, video team and retail department heads who work from a different office.
Content Team Tasks
These are the main responsibilities of the team that you will be managing
- Putting new products on the website including all imagery and product information
- Promoting current deals with landing pages and on-site merchandising
- Executing larger campaigns such as a sale or a product launch
- Creating content for social media, emails, and other advertising channels
- Maintaining content on important landing pages to improve Andertons’ presence for key terms on search engines
- Using the team’s expert knowledge to create pages which answer common customer questions about products
The Digital Content Team leader should be immersed in the musical instrument equipment industry and have an inherent understanding and passion for the products Andertons sells. The chosen candidate will also be:
- Someone who contributes to the team’s output and upholds high standards by leading by example
- A decisive leader who communicates and asserts with confidence and authority
- A personable manager who cares about his or her reports
- Highly driven; unhappy with accepting that the status quo is “good enough”
- Mindful of the challenges of digital marketing and key elements like SEO
- Web and e-commerce savvy. For example in touch with current e-commerce trends
- Commercially minded with an active interest in online merchandising and sales
- Curious with a desire to understand what creates a great online e-commerce experience